Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Swinging...

I've always loved this painting...


"The Swing" from 1766 by Jean-Honoré Fragonard.

This picture became an immediate success in it's time, not merely for its technical excellence, but for the scandal behind it. The young nobleman is not only getting an interesting view up the lady's skirt, but she is being pushed into this position by her priest-lover, shown in the back. Saucy!

I've never seen it in real life (I hope I will someday though, isn't it in London?) so I don't know which version is more acurate.




I like the flamboyant, opulent and refined aesthetic style of the 18th century...

The frilly layers of her pink dress, the white stockings, the flowers, her hat... and the way she kicks of her pretty little shoe!


Another painting by Fragonard that I love is this one:


The Love Letter 1769-1770 (I need a hat like that) She look so coquette!

I'm putting a new pink post together so stay tuned...

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...